We believe that Messiah exists to serve the needs of others, just as Jesus “came not to be served, but to serve” (Mark 10:45). This servanthood is reflected in our involvement in our neighborhood. At Messiah we try to follow the two great commandments, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength,” and “Love your neighbor as yourself” (Mark 11:30-31).
- Messiah is a member of the Rice Military Civic Club and Pastor Engel is a member of the Kiwanis Club of Greater North Houston.
- Pastor Engel spends time offering Free Prayer at the Corner Bakery on Yale St.
- During the summer we host a Kids Camp for children Pre-School through Third grade where youngsters can learn about Jesus and His love in a fun and safe setting.
- During December we invite the neighborhood to our Christmas Sing-Along and Evening with Santa. This free event includes horse-drawn carriage rides, children’s activities, refreshments and a visit from St. Nick.
- Pastor Engel is a volunteer chaplain with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.
- Our members host an annual fundraiser for Friends for Life, a no-kill animal shelter located in the Heights. As stewards of God’s creation we support their vision that “no animal will be killed for want of a loving home.”
- To support our nation’s warriors, we partner with Camp Hope. Located in northwest Houston, Camp Hope provides interim housing for our Wounded Warriors, veterans and their families suffering from combat related PTSD in a faith-based, positive environment.
- Members of the congregation along with children from the Early Childhood Center visit our local police officers and firefighters to thank them for their service to our community.